Monday, August 22, 2005


I conquered my sickness. Did I wuss out and go to the doctor? No, I crawled under my covers and let my white blood cells do the dirty work.

Also, I drove to Kansas City with my dad.
My grandparents (91, 92) are losing it. Poker explains it all. Grandpa dealt 6 cards nearly every time. Grandma couldn't remember which part of the game we were at, always asking for more cards...These people have been playing 5 card draw for like 70 years and now they don't remember how. Still, I managed to lose...

(The Plaza)


Walking down to the plaza, after my dad was asleep, and getting a cafe au lait at Latte To Go was certainly the best part of the trip. Later in my wandering I saw, gaurding the bridge, two larger than life terra-cotta Chinese soldiers that were actually built for the first emperor of china and buried for a thousand years. Touched them even. I had seen them in NYC and thought that was special (after learning about them in Art History), but being able to walk around them and scrutinize made them more real for me. Also, it was especially great because they were just out in the open. No sign explaining how cool or even what they were! Walking to the plaza this year reminded me of walking to it last year. Also alone last time, I wandered the much more lively streets. There was a band playing on every corner and on a rooftop I heard The Violent Femmes playing 'Gimme the Car Dad' and later, 'Blister in the Sun'. I remember giving $5 to someone, busking, playing Elliot Smith. That was when a) I thought elliot smith could do no wrong and b) I had money.


The driving really wasn't bad except that it was another 13 hour drive. Actually, the worst bit of driving I've been doing lately was tonight when I had to dodge a dog walking in the middle of Milford Road... It should be careful I guess. I honked and maybe it learned it's lesson.

No comments: